Monitoring the management of information and records in organisations is a shared responsibility of Archives New Zealand and those organisations.
Archives New Zealand is responsible for:
- monitoring compliance with the Public Records Act 2005 and associated standards and guidance
- reporting to the Minister and Parliament about the state of the management of information and records in New Zealand public sector organisations
- communicating requirements and timetables for monitoring activities
- providing advice and guidance on how organisations can comply with requirements
- providing advice and guidance on how organisations can measure and monitor their own performance.
We encourage internal monitoring by organisations as part of good management practices.